The philosophy behind Middle Schooling is to recognise the challenges associated with the transition that young people experience as they move from being children to becoming adults. At St Brigid’s, middle schooling methodologies are adapted to ease this period of transition, and to ensure that St Brigid’s maximises the learning opportunities for all students.
At St Brigid’s College, the Western Australian Curriculum is the mandated curriculum for the planning, assessment and reporting of student progress and is delivered in partnership with the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme Learning Framework. We challenge our girls to reach their potential, serve the wider community and understand that education is an instigator of change.
The Middle Years Programmes are carefully designed to cater for a diversity of interests, and combines academic pursuit with the spiritual, social and physical growth of the students. Students are engaged in an on-going programme of personal development, and are exposed to global issues, which nurtures a belief in God and in themselves.
This programme offers an educational approach, that embraces yet transcends traditional school subjects.
The MYP at St Brigid’s College:
- Enhances the international scope of the College and its community
- Recognises the significance of the middle years of education and formally acknowledges the completion of middle school education
- Provides meaningful cross curricular links in the teaching programme, enabling students to recognise the extent to which knowledge is interrelated
- Provides continuity in curriculum focus and delivery
- Gives students the capacity to adapt to a rapidly changing reality
- Develops problem solving and practical skills and intellectual rigor in students
- Enhances students’ capacity and self-confidence to act individually and collaboratively
- Fosters and promotes student centred and inquiry based programmes of learning
- Facilitates student mobility between countries
- Builds international links for students and staff
- Addresses holistically students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being
- Provides students opportunities to develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills they need in order to manage complexity and take responsible action for the future
- Ensures breadth and depth of understanding through study in eight subject groups (this does not include Religious Education).
- Requires the study of at least two languages to support students in understanding their own cultures and those of others
- Empowers students to participate in service with the community
- Helps to prepare students for further education, the workplace and a lifetime of learning
At St Brigid’s College this includes Language and Literature – English and either Language Acquisition – French or Italian
The Middle School Students have a large selection of Co-curricular activities to participate in before, during and after school.
For further information please contact our Head of Secondary Ms Fiona Hepi on 9290 4200.