Sleepout for Mercy Works
On Thursday, 4 August over 100 volunteers braved a very cold night to participate in the Mercy Works Sleepout 2022 at Mazenod College. These volunteers consisted of staff and students from both Mazenod and St Brigid’s Colleges.
They were sleeping out for two reasons:
- One was to educate themselves about the plight of people who find themselves homeless in Australia.
- The second reason for the evening was to raise money for the various Catholic agencies who work with the homeless in the Perth metropolitan area. These agencies include Vinnies, The Shopfront and Mercy Works.
Assumption Mass & Commissioning of Ms Veronica Parker
On Monday, 15 August we were honoured to have Archbishop Timothy Costelloe SDB celebrate Mass for the feast of the Assumption. At the conclusion of Mass, Ms Veronica Parker was commissioned as Principal of St Brigid’s College.
First Holy Communion
A number of our Year 4 students were prepared and received their First Holy Communion this term. Parents and students have had the opportunity to attend workshops run by 24/7 Youth Ministry.
Year 8 & Year 10 Retreat Days
Our Year 8 cohort joined the 24/7 Youth Ministry Team for their Retreat Day, which focused on God’s Creation.
Our Year 10 cohort enjoyed their Retreat Day with the Youth Mission Team, exploring the topic of Social Justice.
Mercy Day – Wednesday, 21 September
Mercy Day is a community-building day, combining fun, a celebration of our heritage and the provision of support for those in need through fundraising. We celebrate and work together and we build community, which in turn builds an environment that is supportive of learning and spiritual development.
Important aspects of the day:
- All students are invited to wear blue and white for a gold coin donation.
- We begin the day with the celebration of Mass at 9.15am in the College Grotto.
- Families are invited to support Mercy Day Stalls with various donations.
- Cultural Festival will be held after Mass.
- The day concludes with the Colour Run (2pm – 3pm).
Our fundraising will support the work of Mercy Works.
Mercy Works is the development arm of the Australian and Papua New Guinean Sisters of Mercy.
Their mission is inspired by Catherine McAuley’s vision of change for the poor and disadvantaged.
Mercy Works are financed by donations from the four Australian congregations of the Sisters of Mercy, charitable trusts & foundations, various organisations & groups and individuals.